New Forest East


Dr Julian Lewis: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, pursuant to the Answer of 21 April to Question 34894 on renewal of driving licences for volunteers who cannot obtain medical certificates from their general practitioners, if he will make appropriate arrangements for drivers of passenger-carrying vehicles, in addition to the arrangements for bus and lorry drivers.  [40455]

[Due for Answer on 4 May.]


The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Transport (Rachel Maclean): The temporary provisions for bus and lorry drivers outlined in the answer to Question 34894 extend to drivers of passenger carrying vehicles, providing the licence holder has passed the required driving test.

Drivers who have passed a car test and wish to drive a minibus as a volunteer can do so without obtaining a medical report, provided they can meet certain criteria. These are:

  • that they are driving on behalf of a non-commercial body for social purposes but not for hire or reward (unless operating under a permit)
  • ​they are 21 years old or over
  • ​they have held a category B (car) licence for at least two years
  • ​they are providing their services on a voluntary basis
  • ​​​the minibus has a maximum weight of no more than 3.5 tonnes (excluding any specialist equipment for the carriage of disabled passengers) and is not towing a trailer.